SUP YOGA ON THE ST. CROIX
Image courtesy of XTERRA BOARDS
JUNE – AUGUST 2019
Why Paddleboard Yoga?
Practicing yoga on a moving surface engages your entire body and mind in ways that a land practice can’t. The most basic postures and transitions are challenging in new and exciting ways!
The most important element of SOLO SUP?
HAVE FUN!! The challenge of moving through your practice on a floating surface is hard work and takes a great deal of focus. We will encourage you throughout the experience to have fun with it and not take yourself too seriously. If you fall, just simply get back up and try again!
What are the benefits of SUP Yoga?
- Builds a stronger core | Core muscles are challenged even more with paddleboard yoga due to the additional balance element to stay on your board.
- Improves balance | Similiar to the ways that traditional yoga poses work to maintain and improve balance SUP yoga takes this practice up a notch!
- Refines yoga technique | With the additional challenge of staying balanced on your board, SUP yoga is a way to deepen your awareness of the more subtle adjustments and engagements of your body in postures.
- Challenges your mind and body | SUP yoga will not just challenge your entire body but takes a great deal of focus for your mind.
- Mental Break | Due to the demand this practice has physically and mentally there’s no way to not be in the present moment giving yourself a fun escape away from stress!
- Calming | The combination of nature and floating work together to calm your entire body (BONUS: We give extra Savasana time to enjoy the scenery and relax).
SUP YOGA CLASS RATES
- $35 – DROP-IN
- $25 – DROP-IN (BYOB)
- $90 – 3 CLASS PACK
- $60 – 3 CLASS PACK BYOB
SUP RENTAL RATES
- $20 – 1 HOUR (HUDSON ONLY)
- $35 – 2 HOURS (HUDSON ONLY)
- $50 – 3 HOURS (HUDSON ONLY)
- $75 – 4 HOURS/HALF DAY (MON-THURS)
- $100 – 8 HOURS/FULL DAY (MON-THURS)
- $150 – 48 HOURS/MULTI-DAY (MON-THURS)
1-3 HOUR RENTALS AVAILABLE IN HUDSON ONLY (ON SELECT DAYS). 2 BOARD MINIMUM ON HALF/FULL/MULTI-DAY RENTALS. HALF/FULL/MULTI-DAY RENTALS ARE AVAILABLE FOR PICK UP IN HUDSON OR WE CAN DELIVER WITHIN A 20 MILE RADIUS OF DOWNTOWN HUDSON. PLEASE CONTACT TO SCHEDULE.
Click For Frequently Asked Questions
If I’ve never done yoga will SUP be accessible? | Yes, the great thing about yoga is you can adapt the practice to accommodate your body and ability level. Your SUP instructor will work up toward standing and moving, so if you’re having a hard time balancing, there will be ways to adapt the movements.
Is it OK to fall into the water? | Yes, falling in the water is part of the experience and helps you learn how to balance and move on your board. The most important thing is getting back up and having a blast along the way!!
Do I need to know how to swim to attend SUP classes? | Yes, during the class to move freely, we will not wear life jackets or the board ankle strap. If you fall into the water, you will need to know how to tread water, swim back to your board and get back up.
What do I wear for class? | Wear something that you feel comfortable in and are not afraid to get wet! We recommend doing a couple moves at home in what you choose to wear to ensure modesty and comfort level. On cooler days, dress in layers and bring a sweatshirt for savasana. Wear flip flops or any waterproof shoes.
Where will my belongings go during class? | We advise everyone to keep your most valuable possessions at home or in your car during class. SOLO Yoga LLC is not responsible for any lost, damaged, or stolen items.
Are there boards to rent or will I need to bring my own? | We will have five boards available for rent, and PREREGISTRATION IS REQUIRED to reserve a board. We also offer BYOB (bring your own board) spaces and encourage you to register so we know how many people will be attending class.
Do I need to register for the class? | If you will be renting a board YES. If you BYOB we strongly encourage you to, but it isn’t required. There will be two separate registration slots for class. One will be SUP Yoga w/board rental, and the other will be SUP Yoga BYOB. Please be sure you register for the correct class to ensure there are enough boards. In the event, there is an error with registration that results in not being able to attend class, we are happy to transfer your pass to a future class that has openings.
Is there a discounted rate if I bring my own board? | Yes, BYOB is $10 off the regular price. We also offer discounts when you purchase a 3 class pack.
Do memberships or class passes apply for SUP Yoga? | No. SUP Yoga is separate from in-studio classes and class passes do NOT apply. SY Members receive $10 off all SUP pricing options.
What time do I need to arrive to class? | Please arrive 15 minutes before the start time of class to ensure you get situated and ready to start on time. We will start promptly at the scheduled time of the class. If you arrive after class starts, we ask that you transfer your class pass to a later date.
What’s included in the cost of the class? | Class will start with a brief SUP how to and time for freestyle movement to get a feel for the board, 40-minute yoga class and an extra long savasana! We promise to stick to a schedule to ensure you receive a consistent experience; however, due to unforeseen circumstances that can arise in the elements, this structure may vary in time and content.
Should I wear sunscreen and sunglasses for class? | Use your best judgment in regards to preparation for class. Even on cloudy days, we recommend you apply sunscreen and bring sunglasses if you would like to wear them. We will have suncreen on hand in case you forget yours!